The E-Reuter Guitar Sustainer creates harmonics and feedback like a loud guitar amplifier. The difference is that it works at low volumes or even without a guitar amplifier.
Sound examples: see here
How it works:
The E-Reuter Guitar Sustainer picks up the signal from the neck pickup (a single-coil vintage pickup) and sends the amplified signal to the bridge pickup (a humbucker in single-coil format). The bridge pickup drives the strings like a loud amplifier: the guitar plays without the help of your right hand and there are many harmonics. PPlaying electric guitar this way is really fun. That's why guitarists always have to play so loud :-). With the E-Reuter Guitar Sustainer you have the same effect without an amplifier and even directly connected to the recording unit.
- Prevents damage to your (and your audience´s) ears.
- The E-Reuter Guitar Sustainer boosts the sound of your guitar and makes recording much easier since you need no separate soundproof room.
- You still have the real Stratocaster sound with vintage single-coil pickups.
- The guitar itself has no active circuit, so there is no battery inside.
- You never want to play another guitar.
- You need two (good) guitar cables which of course is the opposite of wireless.
So what´s new: differences to other sustainer guitars
Other sustainer guitars use a special driver pickup (with low resistance), usually in the neck position, so there is an active circuit inside the guitar that is at least needed as an impedance converter. You need a battery inside the guitar which lasts about two hours. In addition, you have to live with the sound of that low resistance active pickup. Another disadvantage is that you have to use the bridge pickup when the sustainer is on. That goes well with Heavy Metal sound or other hard distorted humbucker sounds. However, this does not work for all types of more or less distorted single-coil crunch sounds à la Jimi Hendrix.
With the Vibesware's Guitar Resonator you have to find the right position for the magnetic driver on the stand so that you cannot move while playing the guitar. If you play with a single-coil neck pickup, you won't be able to drive as much as you need because the pickup will start to squeak.